HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Question on requirement involving drug use

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OrlandoM93

PostSubject: Question on requirement involving drug use   Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 pm

I have seen a few post's about this subject and have a great idea of what to know but would like an opinion on my situation.

I am currently starting school this January for a Criminal Justice degree majoring in Law Enforcement. I recently applied for the position of 911 Operator at a local department and was declined for Drug Usage. I understand prior drug usage is looked down upon heavily. I smoked marijuana once on very rare occasions throughout my high school years and a little while past then. I have also tried cocaine two times in my life, which both times were a very small amount, not that this matter I'm sure. I can list my drug usage in the following.

Last time I smoked marijuana was February 2008

The dates I used cocaine were June 2005 and June 2007

I understand this is fairly recent but all of this was done when I was young and stupid. Everyone comes around eventually, just some take longer than others. I am 21 years old and am just starting college for my 2 year degree in Criminal Justice. I do not surround myself with any negative people, have a very devoted girlfriend I'm proposing to in December and just want to start my life and take care of my family doing something I will love to do.

My question is if I go to school for the next two years, get my degree and do what I have to do, will this be enough time to have proven I am fit for the job?

Thank you very much for your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:33 am

You can still become a police officer with many departments. However, you might have to wait a bit more than another two years for many departments. But don't worry, you are still young. But you MUST make good decisions from now on. Consider completing a four year degree. That would not only make you a better candidate, but also put some more time between your recent drug use and when you apply for jobs. Good luck! Stay focused.
Back to top Go down
OrlandoM93

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply and great advice. I understand this drug use has been fairly recent but to me it's almost ridiculous because I've never really touched the stuff hardly and one or two nights ruin a great opportunity for a few years. I plan on obtaining my degree then going to law school eventually actually. This doesn't discourage me too much because I know I've made mistakes and know 100% I will never touch anything again. Our own Presidential Elect has said he has expierimented with drug's when he was young, so if he can get that job, I have faith in myself. Thank you for the great advice and look forward to the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Sounds like you have the right attitude! Good luck! Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ken

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Stay off the drugs!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on requirement involving drug use   

Back to top Go down

Question on requirement involving drug use

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-