HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Transition from EMS to police work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Medic83

PostSubject: Transition from EMS to police work?   Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Hello all, I am currently licensed EMT and have been working on an ambulance for 4 years. I also recently finished paramedic school however have not obtained my paramedic license yet. I've always had an interest in becoming a police officer, I even was a police explorer in high school. So my questions are:
1. Would having experience in EMS be a good thing? I realize its not police experience but its experience with the public in a public safety job...
2. The background checks and interviewing process sounds extensive, any idea on about how long it can take? Like months...years?

I live in St. Louis and looking at St. Louis County PD. Any advice is MUCH appreciated in what I might need to do to help get into this career.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SWAT

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:08 am

Having experience in EMS is most definitely a good thing! It can come in very handy! The background checks and such can take about 6 months.
Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:53 pm

BEING AN EMT WILL HELP!
Back to top Go down
T27

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:21 am

Being an EMT or paramedic would be a big advantage. There have been many calls I've been on where having an EMT or paramedic on scene faster would have been a big help! Being an EMT, or even better, a paramedic, will make you more valuable as a police officer! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
PoliceMA

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:48 pm

I was an EMT before I became a cop. It has helped me on numerous occasions! I have to admit, I enjoy doing police work a heck of a lot more! But it is nice to have the background:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transition from EMS to police work?   

Back to top Go down

Transition from EMS to police work?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-