HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Will these issues keep me from a career in law enforcement?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
leigh

PostSubject: Will these issues keep me from a career in law enforcement?   Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:41 pm

I am going to be 30 next month.

1. When I was 14 I hung around some bad girls that were stealing so I stole some chapstick. I didn't get caught or go back but it was wrong. Is that petty thievery?

2. When I was 18 a friend called the cops on me because she thought I was suicidal but the cops let my mom handle it.

3. When I was around 21 I was shopping with my son who was hysterical. Annoyed, I turned to a girl I had gone to school with who worked at the store and said "I am going to shoot myself." I wasn't serious, I was just frustrated at the time. The girl called the police and I didn't find out until hours later. I was SO embarrassed!! I have heard so many people utter the words "I am going to shoot myself." It turns out that the girl who called the police likes to call the cops on people. A mutual friend informed me that the same girl calls the cops constantly on people for silly things.

4. About 5 or 6 years ago I VOLUNTARILY put myself in a place for help with my depression (I had postpartum depression) and anxiety because I had no health insurance and I was told to put myself in there to get free help. I no longer seek help for depression and I am med-free. I treat my depression with diet and exercise and I have found what triggers my anxiety (ex-husband and his family lol) and avoid those things.

5. I called dcf and the local police on my ex-husand's nephew several months ago because he was inappropriate with my daughter. They did a full investigation and no charges were brought but they did believe something happened though they couldn't determine exactly what took place.

6. I had a bad job history until I went back to work at 25 when my son was starting school. I have since matured and have worked from a housekeeper to now being a Certified Nurse's Aid. It is stressful, rewarding and challenging and I have been in the field for 3 years now.

If I can get into the medical field, my background check can't be bad, right?

I haven't had a speeding ticket sinc I was 19. I did get pulled over for speeding about 3 years ago but he let me off with a warning. I got ticketed for having my license not match the address on my registration and the next day I went and got them fixed. I use my cruise control daily to make sure I don't go over the speed limit. My friends even pick on me and tell me I drive like a grandma lol.

My credit has to be pretty good because I was approved to buy a house without a co-signer.

I am hoping someone can let me know if I would still have a chance to become a cop. Thank you for your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Will these issues keep me from a career in law enforcement?   Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:30 pm

You obviously have some concerns. In my opinion, based on what you wrote, your depression would be the biggest issue. However, if you pass the psychological evaluation, etc., you could still be considered. Your chances will likely improve with time. For example, if you keep everything going well such as your job, credit, driving record, etc., then in another five years, your chances would probably be much better. That would be more than 10 years since any depression issues. I know many people that have started a career as a police officer after age 35. However, apply now if you want to. Do your best. If you get turned down, find out why, and try again later with the same or another police department. Let us know!
Back to top Go down
Robin

PostSubject: Re: Will these issues keep me from a career in law enforcement?   Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 am

Keep a positive attitude Smile
Back to top Go down
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Will these issues keep me from a career in law enforcement?   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 pm

The depression thing could probably be a problem, but if a department is thinking about hiring you, and you pass their psychological tests, you should be okay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will these issues keep me from a career in law enforcement?   

Back to top Go down

Will these issues keep me from a career in law enforcement?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-