HomeHome  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Questions regarding gender/education/etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Questions regarding gender/education/etc.   Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:40 am

Hello, I am really hoping to become a police officer and was hoping i could find some answers here for a few questions i had. I want to make sure i do everything i can to make my dream of becoming an officer happen.

1. I am a 5'2 female, i weigh 125 lbs and I am fit and healthy. Would my smaller size make me look like a "joke"? How much harder would it be for me to become an officer? and how would i be treated by other officers and criminals?

2. I am hoping to eventually go into K-9 or Mounted. How competitive are those two areas exactly? I am located in Long Island, NY if that helps.

3. I have a GED but i am planning on continuing my education and getting my four year degree in Criminal Justice. I have never been arrested or gotten in trouble in any way. I have never done any drugs. I worked with a Search and Rescue agency as a K9 handler and Ground Pounder for 2 years and after 6 months was made a team manager. Although i have spotless records and i am continuing my education, i am worried my GED will make it harder for me to get in. Will it make a difference that i have a GED and not a HS diploma?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding gender/education/etc.   Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:53 pm

1. Your height would not disqualify you. If you are in shape, you should be fine. Become as fit as possible! Other officers can find a reason to give you a hard time if they want to! If you are a good recruit, and then officer, it would likely be mostly in jest. Some criminals will use what they can to intimidate you, and capitalize on what they perceive as a weakness. Don't let them!

2. K-9 and mounted can be very competitive!

3. Having a GED as opposed to a high school diploma would not make a difference (especially if you have a college degree from an accredited school).

Good luck! Keep us posted, and let us know if you have any other questions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding gender/education/etc.   Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:51 am

I WOULD PREFER TO BE TALLER BUT DON"T LET YOUR HEIGHT HOLD YOU BACK!
Back to top Go down
PtlmJill

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding gender/education/etc.   Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Go for it! Think positive, and don't take any crap!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding gender/education/etc.   

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding gender/education/etc.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-